Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Party time

When I was reading Michael Coren's biography of H.G. Wells, my imagination was caught by the description of the menu for Wells's 70th birthday party, at the Savoy Hotel in London. Opulent dishes that graced the several courses included huitres natives, souffle glace de Rothschild, and something called Coup Yvette de Sherry, which I can only assume is a cocktail based on Creme Yvette, a favourite 1920s violet liqueur.

Ever since I read about this extravaganza, I've wanted to hold a steampunk party featuring the dishes listed (or some version of them), with steampunk-style invitations, table decorations and even games. Over the next few weeks I'll be putting my party plan together and featuring some of the recipes and decorations on this blog.

Now, I just need to find someone to make one of these gorgeous steampunk cakes for me. (Tip of the tophat to Airship Ambassador for the link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to share with me? Please tell me what you're thinking.